Laws on business investment in The United States.
The United States is a federal constitutional republic consisting of 50 states and a federal special district. The US legal system includes the federal legal system and the state legal system. As a result, when conducting business in this country, businesses must comply with a range of local, state, and federal regulations.
American corporate law also has regulations on business conditions associated with certain types of businesses or industries. Most researchers assess that starting a business in the US is relatively easy because of the very simple and compact regulations on business registration procedures. In addition to the business registration system, the state establishes a very clear and specific mechanism for applying for permits and approvals from competent authorities to strictly control business activities of enterprises.
In the US there are two licensing systems: Federal Licensing and Approval; State license and approval. These two systems coexist and govern business activities of enterprises. First, the business itself must meet the requirements to apply for a business license in the locality, state – where the business is located. If the business operates in a field or industry under federal control, the business can only conduct such business when it is approved by the federal government or granted a business license. There are some basic industries in the US that businesses must apply for a Federal license such as:
– If a business imports or ships animals, animal products, biology, biotechnology, or has factories across the states, they will need a permit from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).
– Enterprises with activities related to aircraft; For the carriage of goods, passengers by air will need to apply for one or more permits from the Federal Aviation Administration.
Businesses that manufacture, deal with, and import firearms, ammunition, and explosives must comply with the licensing requirements of the Arms Control Act. This act is administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
Businesses engaged in any wildlife-related activities, including the import/export of wildlife and derivative products, must obtain a permit from the Wildlife Authority. United States wild.
Nuclear energy producers, as well as businesses engaged in the distribution and handling of nuclear material, must obtain permits from the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
There are many other industries that when conducting business activities, enterprises must obtain permission from specialized federal regulatory agencies such as: fishing, broadcasting, mining, shipping, shipping, and transportation. transportation and logistics… These are industries where influence from the nature of the business or the size of the business is not limited to a single state, but requires federal control to ensure safety and security for the economy.
Besides, each locality and state has different regulations on licensing and allowing businesses to do business, depending on socio-economic conditions and the policies of the authorities. There are localities that require businesses to have a general license, there are places that prescribe licenses according to business lines, and there are places that require licenses according to types of businesses.
Example: In Columbia: Most individuals and companies doing business in the District of Columbia must obtain a basic business license from DCRA – the county’s General Regulatory Agency, which ensures the health, safety and welfare of the business. public health through licensing, inspection, compliance, and enforcement programs. In addition, the Department of Health (DHO) issues certain specialized permits, the County Department of Transportation (DDOT) regulates public spaces, and the Zoning Office (DCOZ) controls land use.
In addition to business licenses granted to businesses, the US also exists a licensing mechanism for individuals to conduct business activities related to this individual’s capacity and expertise to ensure the public interest. Many professions in the United States are subject to regulatory control. This control manifests itself in three forms:
– Licensing: This is a mandatory mechanism for some professions, only after obtaining this license can individuals be allowed to operate in reality (if they do not have one, they still carry out professional activities at the same time). means breaking the law). To obtain this license to practice, the individual must meet the regulations and standards of the competent authorities, for example: doctors, lawyers, nurses.
– Certification: The issue of certification is set when the activity is not within the limits of the licensed profession, the subject can voluntarily apply for certification as having expertise related to the field. this area from the competent authorities designated by the state. For example: certified as a financial analyst, certified doctor with a specialty in respiratory …
– Registration: The competent authorities will make a list, provide certain conditions to be on this list, then the subjects wishing to register their names, addresses, and qualifications with management agencies. As long as there is a complaint from a consumer (customer), or the public listing of information is not correct, that subject can be removed from this list. That means it is against the law to continue doing business.
Read more about laws in US at Lawyer Houston.